Friday, February 24, 2012

My Secret Love: Choral Music

Photograph taken from: http://transitionaljusticeinthemotherland.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/choirs.jpg


I remember back in the days, where one was always beaten up by music teachers in Primary school for missing rehearsals or not singing what you were supposed to, sometimes it would even go further to not having sung in the assembly.

We were never given a chance to decide for ourselves whether we want to sing or not, but coming to think of it now…maybe they did see the potential and talent, that’s why there was always a punishment for either of the two: missing rehearsal and not singing at the assembly.

I realized that I really loved choral music, and that has been groomed throughout the years by being an active church choir member, from Sunday school up to the Youth Choir and later on I joined the CPUT CHOIR. If it wasn’t for the extra mural activities, one would have never really known that they can actual be part of a choir that sings beautifully, and your voice being one of the 60 voices that make up the choir.

One thing I know, choral music has been my secret love for all these years; for whenever I felt down, I just always had and still have some hope that if I sing a piece on my own, all shall be well.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Zandi. You making me think of my choral choir days. It was compulsary in the beginning but I learned to enjoy it.

    The ability to sing and listen to notes is so important. Choral music teaches you that. It also teaches you disipline, respect and ubuntu.
    We had the displine to attend rehearsals regurly, on time and be ready to work hard. We also won a number of competitions and the hard work payed off.

    We had respect and ubuntu towards each other. We were somewhat a family, a community and despite the hardwork, we always had time to laught and have fun.

    Sure you’re experiencing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is the very same experience. Even now I think to myself respect for yourself and the people around you will always be the basis of most things; because that is where everything starts.

    ReplyDelete